Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cancer Free!!

So, many of you may have already heard the news. I had a follow up appointment today to get the results of the PET scan I had last week. The results were great: no signs of cancer!

However, there was some slightly disappointing news. The mass that started out at 14 cm before treatments is not totally gone. There is still about 2 cm left. The scan showed no signs of it being cancerous which is good, but the recommendation was to have a surgery to remove it anyways.

I asked my oncologist what the chances were that the remaining 2 cm is just scar tissue and he said that in his opinion he believes that is the case. However, there is no way to determine exactly what it is unless they do the surgery. There is a chance that there could be a type of benign tumor known as teratoma left within the 2 cm mass. Like I said earlier, it isn't cancerous but if there is any teratoma then there's a possibility that it could develop into cancer later in life. This is ultimately the reason why surgery is recommended: to completely eliminate every possibility of cancer.

So, we will meet with the urologist that would perform the surgery to discuss everything. We can either get the surgery and then go back for scans every six months for a while, or opt out of the surgery and go in for scans every three months for a long time.

Continue to be in prayer for us. I'm healed and ecstatic, but we still need wisdom on what steps to take regarding surgery. I obviously don't want another surgery; however, I also don't want to go in for scans forever.

God is amazing and He gave me the strength to get through all of this crap. I'm completely confident that if I do end up having another surgery that I'll get through that just as seamlessly, and that it will just give more glory to God and bring even more people closer to Him.

3 comments:

  1. To God be the glory!! So happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for wisdom for y'all & praising God for the good news! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear the news!!!! I'll be praying for y'all, that God will give you wisdom :)

    ReplyDelete