Friday, November 25, 2011

Thankful

This Thanksgiving has been, well, different to say the least. When you have something like being diagnosed with cancer at any point of the year, you realize what is truly important. You gain a sense of gratefulness for things you may not have otherwise.

This year I'm thankful for life. When just a couple of weeks ago I was told by the doctors I was a week away from death it makes me thankful that I'm alive today. Not only am I alive but I'm at home and able to eat and rest peacefully. I'm able to enjoy another Thanksgiving meal.

No, it's not the ideal thanksgiving. I don't feel great by any means. I don't feel like myself yet. BUT I'm getting there. And, I still have been able to go through treatments without major side effects. I'm thankful that I paid a bunch of money for meds to help with nausea and I haven't had to take a single one!

I'm thankful that I still have my hair lol. They said I would probably start losing it by now but I still have it!

More than anything I'm thankful for all of the people in my life. My amazing wife has been more than I could ask or hope for during this time. She is so strong and I don't think I could even think about trying to go through this without her.

My family has sacrificed so much to be with me at the hospital and my new family (Catherine's side of the family) even drove up last night with a full Thanksgiving meal to share with us. They changed their plans, drove 150 miles one way just to bring us a good Thanksgiving meal. Now that's something to be thankful for!

My church families have been a life saver for sure. I say families because I'm just that blessed. We have multiple churches all over the world praying for us. People that have been an important part of my life stretching from Texas and other sates to England, Poland, Kenya, South Africa, and beyond are praying and standing with us believing for the manifestation of my healing.

My Harvest family has been truly life giving. My church. The church I call home, Harvest Christian Fellowship, is something I as well as hundreds of others are thankful for. The people of Harvest are some the best people in the world. Believe me, I know. I've been to many places and know of many great churches around the world. I would put my church against any of them.

I said in the beginning of this post that I was thankful for life. Well I'm hear to say that the people of Harvest Christian Fellowship emanate life. When you get to know my family at Harvest then you'll experience what I'm talking about. You'll experience what God intended life to be. Love God. Love people. That's simple. That's Harvest. And I'm thankful that we as a church don't make it any more complicated than that.

Most importantly, I'm thankful that I have a great relationship with my Lord and Savior, my healer, my strength, my trust, Jesus. I simply don't have any more words to say besides thank you and I love you.

5 comments:

  1. We love u Kirby! Praying with u! Thankful for u!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a blessing for our family to spend Thanksgiving with you and Catherine. Thank you for opening up your home to us. We love you both and pray for you daily. Remember to live life and and hug your wife daily (words from a mother).
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you have such an amazing support system, Kirby! I completely understand your feelings toward everyone, and especially your church family. I know I could not have made it through our cancer journey these past three years without mine! And maybe I'm a little biased, but you have an amazing family, too! ;) I'm so grateful to be a part of it! Y'all are my favorites! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. We prayed for you this Sunday in my sister's church in Georgia as well! Hang in there Kirby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirby,

    Just saw the blog posted on facebook by Kendra. I have been praying ever since your mother called about needing a sub. I am thankful that our prayers are being answered and I know now through your blog how to pray more specifically and to give praise to God. Remember prayers are being lifted up for you from me.

    ReplyDelete